TEHRAN (Press Shia) – The Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned Kuwaiti Charge D'affaires Falah al-Hajraf to protest the accusations leveled by the Arab country against Iran.
Kuwait’s official KUNA new agency reported Thursday that Kuwait City decided to freeze any activities involving joint committees between Iran and the Arab country following the ruling by Kuwait’s top court in a case known as the “Abdali cell.”
Media reports earlier in the day also said Kuwait had shut down the office of Iran’s cultural attaché and reduced the number of Iranian diplomats in the country from 19 to 4 personnel.
In reaction, Kuwait charge d’affaires was summoned to the Foreign Ministry on Thursday after release of reports on the Kuwaiti government’s decision.
Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said dismessed Kuwaiti officials’ accusations as "baseless and false", adding that Iran has given a note of protest to the Kuwaiti charge d’affairs.
“It is regrettable that the Kuwaiti officials , are acting based on provocations raised by adventurist regional sides and are leveling accusations against Iran in the current sensitive conditions, instead of doing their best to reduce tensions,” Qassemi stated.
Iran has always showed a responsible behavior towards the regional countries, including Kuwait in hard days, he said, but at the same time added that Tehran reserves the rights to show proper reciprocal measures against the reduction in the number of the two countries’ diplomatic staffs.