TEHRAN (Press Shia Agency) – Iran’s deputy defense minister for legal and parliamentary affairs said the Islamic Republic has received about $1.71 billion from the US government in legal cases related to military deals signed between the two countries before the 1979 Islamic Revolution.   

Speaking at a televised interview on Tuesday night, Brigadier General Reza Talaee Nik pointed to some of Tehran’s open cases in international courts against Washington and said prior to the victory of the Islamic Revolution more than 2200 military agreements had been signed between Iran and the US.

He added that some of the deals were related to the purchase of arms and military equipment, including F16 aircraft, and some of them pertained to the presence of US military attachés in Iran.

The deputy defense minister went on to say that after the Revolution, the US failed to fulfill its obligations under the military deals.

“…Now we claim (compensations) from the US, some of which have been paid to us in the past few years, amounting to $1.71 billion,” he said.

In January 2016, the US State Department said Washington had agreed to pay Iran $1.7 billion to settle a case related to the sale of military equipment prior to the Islamic Revolution.

The Iranian nation toppled the US-backed Pahlavi regime 36 years ago, on February 11, 1979, ending the 2,500 years of monarchic rule in the country.

The Revolution, led by the late Imam Khomeini, established a new political system based on Islamic values and policies against arrogant powers, like the US.