TEHRAN (Press Shia) – The Yemeni army and allied fighters from the Popular Committees shelled the gathering centers of Saudi-backed mercenaries in southwestern Taiz province, inflicting major losses on them.

The artillery attacks were launched against the militants in Mouza district of Taiz province, a military official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Saba news agency on Wednesday.

The shelling also hit the positions of the pro-Saudi forces in the areas of al-Hamaly and al-Yasamin in Thubab district, the official added.

In a separate development, Yemeni snipers fatally wounded the mercenaries in the Alab border crossing on Tuesday, two days after sharpshooters killed five Saudi troops in the same area, a report said.

Yemenis also torched a Saudi weapons depot near the crossing by artillery fire.

Elsewhere, Yemeni forces destroyed a Saudi tank in the Khadra border crossing in the kingdom’s southern region of Najran by targeting it with a rocket.

The report further said Yemenis also struck the Shabaka military base and a commanding center of Saudis in Najran with their artillery fire.

The attacks against the Saudi forces came in retaliation for the continued massacre of civilians and destruction of Yemen’s infrastructure by the coalition led by the Riyadh regime.

Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than two years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.

Over 12,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.