TEHRAN (Press Shia Agency) – Yemen’s army, backed by popular forces, hit the gathering centers of Saudi-backed mercenaries in the southern province of Lahij, killing and injuring a large group of them.

Yemen’s artillery units shelled the positions of the militants in Kahbob area in Lahij on Monday, inflicting major losses on them, a military official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told Saba news agency.

In a separate development, the Yemeni forces targeted the positions of pro-Saudi forces in the areas of Mouza and Dabab in the southwestern province of Taiz, claiming the lives of dozens of them.

The attacks were carried out in retaliation for the regime's ongoing airstrikes targeting Yemeni civilians.

Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition led by the Saudi regime for nearly 27 months but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been launching deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to the fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.

Nearly 10,000 Yemenis, including women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.

On Monday, the UN said it has verified 5,144 civilian deaths in the war in Yemen, mainly from air strikes by the Saudi-led coalition, and an international investigation is urgently needed.