TEHRAN (Press Shia) – The Iranian Embassy in London expressed surprise over claims made by the UK government about Tehran’s involvement in Yemen’s recent missile attack on Riyadh and criticized Britain for having provided the Saudi regime with weapons used against Yemeni civilians.

“It is surprising that the British Foreign Office has referred to the Saudi-led coalition’s report on the Iranian origin of a missile launched against an airport in Saudi Arabia and has called for the positive role of the Islamic Republic of Iran in the Yemeni crisis,” the embassy said in a statement.

“Needless to say, the coalition led by Saudi Arabia has committed the brutal killings of women, children, and (other) innocent and defenseless people of Yemen and destruction of the country’s infrastructure over the past two years using weapons provided by some Western countries, including Britain,” the statement read.

The Saudi war has also led to the outbreak of famine, cholera and other infectious diseases in the Arabian Peninsula country, it added. 

The embassy further called on the British government to stop supplying arms to the Saudi regime immediately and help end the Yemeni crisis.

In a statement released by Britain's Minister of State for the Middle East Alistair Burt on Thursday, he said, “I am deeply concerned by reports that Iran has provided the Houthis with ballistic missiles…”

On November 4, a Riyadh-based media outlet reported that Saudi Arabia’s air force had intercepted a ballistic missile that had been launched from Yemen over the Saudi capital.

The Yemeni ballistic missile attack came in retaliation for the continued massacre of civilians and destruction of Yemen’s infrastructure by the coalition led by the Riyadh regime.

Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the coalition for more than two years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.

Over 14,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.