TEHRAN (Press Shia) – Saudi Arabian authorities claimed they have released all remaining detainees from Riyadh’s opulent Ritz-Carlton Hotel, which had been used as an interrogation center in a so-called crackdown on corruption, a report said.
“There are no longer any detainees left at the Ritz-Carlton,” a Saudi official told Reuters on Tuesday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
He did not say how many suspects remained in detention at other locations in Saudi Arabia. Some are believed to have been moved from the Ritz to prison after refusing to admit wrongdoing and reach financial settlements with the authorities.
Last week, the attorney general said that countrywide most detainees had agreed to settlements, 90 had been released after charges were dropped, and 95 remained in custody. Some cases will go to trial.
Among top businessmen caught up in the purge were Prince Alwaleed, owner of global investor Kingdom Holding 4280.SE, and Waleed al-Ibrahim, who controls influential regional broadcaster MBC.
MBC said the investigation found Ibrahim completely innocent of wrongdoing and Prince Alwaleed has insisted he is innocent, although Saudi officials said both men agreed to settlements after admitting unspecified “violations”.
The hotel has said it will reopen to the public in mid-February, with a nightly rate for its cheapest room of 2,439 riyals ($650).