TEHRAN (Press Shia Agency) – A senior official at the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) on Tuesday rejected Saudi allegations that Iran has supplied missiles to Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, saying Riyadh is trying to divert public attention from its crimes in the Arabian Peninsula country.
“Everyone knows that all routes to send arms to Yemen are blocked and that Saudi Arabia has imposed a complete siege on the oppressed nation of Yemen,” Lieutenant Commander of the IRGC for Political Affairs Brigadier General Yadollah Javani told the Press Shia Agency News Agency.
The objective behind Saudi Arabia’s claim that Iran has provided Yemenis with missiles is to divert public attention from war crimes that it is committing in the impoverished country, the commander said.
By raising such claims, the Riyadh regime is also seeking to cover up its defeats in Yemen, he added.
The reality is that the Yemeni nation has reached the capability to produce their own defensive weapons including missiles, an achievement that had been inconceivable to Saudis, Javani went on to say.
The remarks came after Yemeni forces fired seven ballistic missiles into Saudi Arabia in retaliation for the continued massacre of civilians by the Saudi-led coalition.
The missile unit of the Yemeni army announced on Monday that in keeping with the promise of the leader of Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement, the unit had fired seven ballistic missiles at Saudi targets the night before.
Yemen’s defenseless people have been under massive attacks by the Saudi-led coalition for three years but Riyadh has reached none of its objectives in Yemen so far.
Since March 2015, Saudi Arabia and some of its Arab allies have been carrying out deadly airstrikes against the Houthi Ansarullah movement in an attempt to restore power to fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansour Hadi, a close ally of Riyadh.
Over 14,000 Yemenis, including thousands of women and children, have lost their lives in the deadly military campaign.