TEHRAN (Press Shia) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif rejected media reports about the arrest of an Iranian diplomat on suspicion of plotting a bomb attack on a meeting of terrorist Mojahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO or MEK) as “a sinister false-flag ploy’.
“How convenient: Just as we embark on a presidential visit to Europe, an alleged Iranian operation and its “plotters” arrested,” Zarif said on his Twitter account late on Monday.
“Iran unequivocally condemns all violence & terror anywhere, and is ready to work with all concerned to uncover what is a sinister false flag ploy,” the top diplomat added in his tweet.
Earlier in the day, Belgian authorities said an Iranian diplomat was arrested, along with two other people, on suspicion of plotting a bomb attack on a meeting of the MKO terrorist group in France.
A joint statement by Belgium's top prosecutor and its intelligence services said a 38-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman had been intercepted by Belgian agents on June 30.
The two would be charged with attempted terrorist murder and preparation of a terrorist act, media reports said.
The diplomat at the Iranian Embassy in Vienna was arrested in Germany, according to the Belgian statement, which was released on July 2.
The report came as Iranian President Hassan Rouhani started his official visits to Switzerland and Austria on Monday to hold talks with senior officials of the European countries about a range of topics, including bilateral relations and the 2015 nuclear deal known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).