TEHRAN (Press Shia) – The Ministry of External Affairs of India strongly condemned a Thursday terrorist attack in Iran’s southeastern port city of Chabahar where a suicide car blast killed at least 2 and injured a number of others.
“We express our condolences to the government and the people of Iran and the families of the victims of this attack,” India’s Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement on Thursday.
India condemns the “despicable terror” attack, the ministry said, adding, “We wish speedy recovery to those injured. The perpetrators behind this dastardly attack should be brought to justice expeditiously.”
“There can be no justification for any act of terror,” the statement concluded, according to The Indian Express.
On Thursday morning, an explosive-laden vehicle attacked the police headquarters in Chabahar, killing two sentries and injuring a number of other people, including passersby.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack.
In 2016, India entered into a trilateral treaty with Iran and Afghanistan to develop a new transportation corridor connecting the three countries and other Central Asian Countries via the Chabahar Port.
Chabahar provides India with an easier land-sea route to Afghanistan. In November 2017, India sent its first cargo of wheat to Afghanistan through Chabahar in what appeared to be a run dry of a multi-modal connectivity route. The cargo was shipped from India’s western port of Kandla, unloaded at Chabahar and eventually taken to Afghanistan’s Nimroz province by trucks.