TEHRAN (Press Shia) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi dismissed as unfounded recent reports that the country’s charge d’affaires in Germany has been summoned to the European country’s foreign ministry over a suspected espionage case.

– Politics news –

In a statement released on Monday, Qassemi said he would not confirm the report since it is completely false.

Iran’s temporary charge d’affaires has gone to the German Foreign Ministry at the behest of the Iranian Embassy and the claims on his being summoned are “basically untrue”, the spokesman added.

He further slammed allegations leveled against Iran aimed at undermining age-old relations between Tehran and the European Union, saying that it is not surprising to see such moves on the part of enemies.

Commenting on the claims by some German media about the arrest of an Afghan-German national for spying for the Iranian government, he rejected any link between the alleged individual and Islamic Republic, saying such allegations are made by those trying to harm Iran-EU relations at this sensitive juncture.

His comments came days after unconfirmed reports appeared in German media suggesting that a 50-year-old Afghan-German dual national who worked for the German military had been arrested on suspicion of transferring sensitive military data to Tehran.

Germany’s federal prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday that Abdul Hamid S. had been remanded in custody pending an investigation.

The German defense ministry did not confirm the report although it said it was aware of the espionage case involving a member of the military.