TEHRAN (Press Shia Agency) – A suicide bomber in a vehicle killed three US troops and a military contractor while targeting their convoy near Bagram Air Base, officials said, after the Taliban claimed responsibility for the blast.
According to NATO, the blast on Monday also wounded three US troops in what is the deadliest attack on American forces in Afghanistan so far this year.
Officials did not immediately release the names of those killed, or the nationality of the contractor.
“The wounded service members were evacuated and are receiving medical care,” NATO said in a statement, France 24 reported.
Earlier, the Taliban claimed to have conducted the attack, saying “multiple invaders” had been killed. They added that one armored personnel carrier had been “completely destroyed.”
The blast brings to seven the number of US troops killed in Afghanistan so far this year.
Bagram, America’s largest air base in Afghanistan, is located about 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Kabul.