TEHRAN (Press Shia Agency) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Seyed Abbas Mousavi ruled out the possibility of any negotiations between the Islamic Republic and the US administration in the near future, saying there is no prospect of engaging in such talks for the time being.
“For now, we do not have any (intention to hold) talks with the US government,” Mousavi told reporters in Tehran on Tuesday during his first press conference as the Foreign Ministry spokesman.
“The basis of our words is that respect for international agreements is pivotal,” he said, adding, “We do not see any prospect for negotiations for now.”
“We have to wait for (new) developments and conditions,” the spokesman said, stressing, however, that Iran has not closed the path to diplomacy based on its political, national, and security considerations.
His comments came as Asharq al-Awsat Arab-language newspaper, based in London, said in a story on Saturday that Kuwait’s Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Al-Jarallah has announced the launch of direct talks between Tehran and Washington.
Last week, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani roundly dismissed the idea of direct negotiations with the US under the current circumstances, stressing the need for resistance against an ongoing economic war waged by Washington.
Earlier this month, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei underlined that there will be no military confrontation between Iran and the US as Washington is aware that it won’t be in its interest, adding that negotiation with the US is not on the Islamic Republic’s agenda either.
“The Iranian nation’s definite option will be resistance in the face of the US, and in this confrontation, the US would be forced into a retreat,” Ayatollah Khamenei said. “Neither we nor they, who know war will not be in their interest, are after war.”