TEHRAN (Press Shia) – Iran’s permanent mission to the United Nations denounced as a new “lie” the US claim that Tehran had a role in a September 2019 attack on Saudi oil facilities, saying Washington has failed to offer any evidence about the accusations.
In a media note released on Friday evening, the permanent mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the United Nations dismissed a February 13 media note from the US’ mission to the UN which had called on the Security Council to renew international sanctions banning the sale of certain weapon systems to Iran because of what it had called Tehran’s “program of terrorism, nuclear extortion, and destabilizing behavior”.
The Iranian mission slammed the US mission’s media note as a “new spread of lies” against Tehran, saying Washington has failed so far to offer any evidence proving the claim that the Islamic Republic had been involved in the attack on the Saudi oil installations on September 14, 2019.
“The US is now resorting to everything to prove its claim, a recent example of which is referring to a report from Yemen Panel of Experts in order to prove its claims. This report does not contain anything to prove the US’ claim which had been already dismissed by Iran,” the Iranian media note said.
The Iranian mission further described the deployment of American military forces and equipment to the region, Washington’s adventurism, and the unprecedented sales of sophisticated American arms to the US allies in the region as the main causes of instability and insecurity in the Persian Gulf.
“Instead of accusing the others, the US must end all of its divisive policies and destabilizing activities in the region,” the Iranian UN mission added.
It also took a swipe at the US for the brazen violation of the UN Security Council Resolution 2231 and forcing the other countries to breach the resolution, stressing, “If anything about the resolution (2231) is to be addressed, that issue will be definitely the substantial violation of the resolution by the US.”
In a media note on the UN Yemen Panel of Experts Report, the US mission said the Yemen Panel of Experts has established that the Houthis could not have launched the attack on Saudi oil facilities in September 2019, “reinforcing the conclusion of the United States, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom that Iran bears responsibility”.
The American media note released on Thursday said the attack on Saudi oil facilities “was not only against a sovereign state but against the global economy.”