TEHRAN (Press Shia) – Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh rejected Saudi Arabia’s “baseless” allegation that it has captured a terrorist group allegedly linked to Iran.

– Politics news –

In a statement on Tuesday, the Iranian spokesman described the Saudi claim as “a rehash of old accusations”.

“The recent accusations levelled by Saudi officials against the Islamic Republic of Iran are in line with the country’s invalid and repetitive positions over the past years,” he said.

“By abandoning political wisdom, and, this time, in the form of a threadbare show, Saudi rulers have fabricated a false case against Iran as a ploy to deflect public attention in order to cover up its own failed moves.

“The Saudi rulers’ move to hurl hackneyed, cliché and worthless accusations (against Iran) is not a path that would help the Arab country achieve its goals,” Khatibzadeh added.

“We recommend Saudi Arabia opt for the path of honesty and wisdom rather than playing out worthless and dictated scenarios,” the Iranian spokesperson underlined.

His comments came after Saudi Arabia said it has taken down a “terrorist cell”, alleging that the group had received training from Iran.

The spokesman for the presidency of state security said in a statement published on the state-run Saudi Press Agency on Monday that three of the 10 people arrested had been trained in Iran while the rest were “linked to the cell in various roles”.